Last week I told you we have been on a Mexican food kick.
It’s a new week and it’s still here. One would think that a craving for Mexican food could only survive a week. Not this one.
We tried to tell this craving that it is not welcome anymore.
We let the craving down gently. We said all the right things…
“It’s not you, it’s us.”
“We just want you to be happy. And we don’t think we can make you as happy as all the other hungry people out there.”
“This is for your benefit, not ours.”
Alas, cravings don’t actually talk back. So Jeremy and I just kept making Mexican food 🙂 Rough life…
Anyway, the best part is we created this particular recipe because of our love for the chicken rice bowl at Chipotle. Only, we made it Paleo. Oh yes. Yes. We. DID.
Make sure to make some plantain chips as these are also Paleo and the perfect replacement for the tortilla chip. Ole!
A Paleo Mexican Recipe: The Chicken “Rice” Bowl
Go ahead and prepare some cilantro lime paleo cauliflower rice. You can make this ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
It will look like rice. Behold:
Now, grab four chicken breasts. Pat them dry and let them come to room temperature.
Allowing your meat to come to room temperature is always very important. It allows for even cooking. Also, when cold meat hits a stainless steel pan it is more likely to stick.
In a small bowl combine the spice mixture. There is the option to just add a packet of taco seasoning but I checked the back of the package and the amount of preservatives was highly disturbing. Plus there is added sugar. Plus, I have most of the spices in my cabinet anyway. And you probably do too. So go ahead and make your own.
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
Mix that together and rub it all over your chicken.
Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and add 1 tbs cocnut oil. When the pan is ready, add the chicken.
I had some fairly thick chicken breasts so it took me 7 minutes on each side. But a good rule of thumb is usually 6 minutes on each side for chicken breasts. Either way, your chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F to be fully cooked.
Now – we need to shred the chicken. Have you ever tried shredding chicken with two forks? I have. And I hated every minute of it. Then I discovered this little trick.
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to be amazed. And please, do try this at home!
Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for about 2 minutes. Then cut the chicken breasts in half. Add the chicken to your KitchenAid Mixer.
Yes. Go ahead. Read that again.
With the paddle attachment start your mixer and slowly increase to about an 8. Let that go for about 1 to 2 minutes.
High kick! Shredded chicken.
Now, I have been told this only works with hot chicken. So do not try this with raw or cold chicken. Unless you are out to prove something.
If you do not have a KitchenAid Mixer, you can just cut the chicken in small strips or in cubes! Easy. Easy.
Add the chicken back to your fry pan. Place it on medium heat. Pour in two 4 oz. cans of green chilies. Mix it all together. Allow the green chilies to heat up. About 3-4 minutes.
Now we assemble!
Grab a bowl and add your Paleo cauliflower rice. Then add some shredded Mexican chicken. And now add anything you want!
We added homemade guacamole. Hot sauce (be sure to look at the labels of the hot sauce at the store and get one that is Paleo). Tomatoes. Fresh cilantro. A lime wedge and our plantain chips.
What about you? Do you have a favorite Mexican food recipe that you want to turn Paleo? Or that you have turned Paleo?Print
Mexican Chicken “Rice” Bowl. A Paleo Mexican Food Recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 four oz. cans of green chillies
- Pat chicken breasts dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a small bowl combine all the spices.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken.
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and add 1 tbs cocnut oil. When the pan is heated, add the chicken.
- Cook on each side for 6-7 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half. Add the chicken to your KitchenAid Mixer.
- With the paddle attachment start your mixer and slowly increase to about an 8. Let that go for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the fry pan. Place it on medium heat.
- Pour in the cans of green chilies.
- Mix it all together and allow the green chilies to heat up. About 3-4 minutes.
- Grab a bowl and add your Paleo cauliflower rice. Then add some shredded Mexican chicken.
- Optional: Add homemade guacamole. Hot sauce (be sure to look at the labels of the hot sauce at the store and get one that is Paleo). Tomatoes. Fresh cilantro. A lime wedge. You can also stir fry some onions and peppers to make it a fajita Mexican rice bowl!