If you know me personally you probably already have this recipe because you ask me for it all the time! This recipe was hard for me to develop because I do something different every time.
A little of this. A little of that. I am my mother’s daughter.
I know this because after I got married I called my mom no less than 5 times a week at approximately 5:03 pm everyday freaking out about having to make dinner again. It shocked me every time. I’d frantically demand she give me a recipe. My mom was so sweet, “Oh hi honey! How was your day?! I miss you!”
And I would excitedly reply with the absence of full sentences, “Mom. Help. Dinner. Need to feed people. Always hungry at this time.”
She’d walk me through a quick meal and her instructions always came out like this, “And then you add a little cumin, a dash of pepper, a swirl of olive oil.”
Bless her. She did not understand how much I did not understand about cooking. Which was about exactly zero.
I was all on the phone like….what? WHAT IS A DASH?!
Seven years later and I get you mom.
But I want to give you all exact measurements for this salsa because what food blog survives by giving “dashes” and “splashes?”
I made this salsa recipe probably about 20 times with a pen and paper in hand to get it right. I want to give you the best ever homemade salsa recipe you will ever have. You cannot go wrong. I am cheering so hard for you!
Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
Fresh ingredients are important! And it all just goes into the food processor.
The great thing about this recipe is it will give you a good base. If you want more heat – add more jalapeño. If you want more salt – add more salt! You really cannot go wrong.
Just pulse in the blender and you have the freshest salsa that packs a punch. I take this to every get together. I eat this by the spoonfuls.
Also, this salsa is paleo! We have made it and served it with plantain chips to keep it a fully paleo snack. I used to make my own plantain chips but Trader Joe’s sells them and they are made with real ingredients!! So yummy and crunchy.
Or you can go with grain free chips. PSA – I found you the best chip. Seriously, these are the perfect tortilla chips. At first I thought it was just advertising. But it was also truth.
Do you have a go-to recipe you take to every get together?!Print
Best Homemade Salsa
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 jalapeño, quartered and sliced thin (remove seeds if you do not want a spicy salsa)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- Combine the whole tomatoes (with juice), cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, salt and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Process until you get the salsa to the consistency you like. I let the food processor run for about 15-20 seconds. Or pulse about 10 times. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Refrigerate the salsa for at least an hour before serving.
- Serving Size: 1